(left to right: Drs. W. Andrew Kofke, Pirjo Manninen, Adrian Gelb)
Teacher of the Year – Lifetime Education Award
This award recognizes SNACC members who exemplify a career dedicated to teaching and mentoring of health care professionals and basic scientists in the areas of neuroscience, neuroanesthesiology and neurocritical care. The award will be presented at the SNACC 45th Annual Meeting in Boston, MA on October 20, 2017.
What to submit?
(Nominees will be expected to have achieved excellence in all of these categories).
- Name, title and contact information of the nominee (self-nomination is possible).
- A supporting letter of nomination from the nominee’s current departmental chair.
- Summary of the nominees teaching credentials:
- i) Evidence of innovation in education, including the development of relevant course materials, fellowship requirements and/or development of methods for evaluation of effectiveness of teaching methods.
- ii) Evidence of expertise in invited lectureships, review course presentations at national/international meetings and participation in educational activities of national/international societies.
iii) Summary of relevant publications of the contribution of new knowledge to the field and publication record of review articles and book chapters relevant to neuroscience, neuroanesthesiology and neurocritical care.
- iv) Administrative positions held in areas relevant to education.
- v) Evidence of mentorship of medical students, anesthesia/critical care residents/fellows and any other relevant groups.
- vi) Evaluations supporting the nominee’s effectiveness as a teacher, quality of mentorship, impact on the development of the student’s career and impact on the productivity of the student, including evaluations from previous students.
vii) Evaluations from chair/colleagues (past or present) regarding demonstration of a passion for teaching, verification of contributions to education, research and administration, and demonstration of respect for advisees.
viii) Evaluations from international colleagues as above.
Recipients of these awards will receive:
– A plaque of recognition presented at the SNACC 45th Annual Meeting on Friday, October 20, 2017.
– Recognition on the SNACC website.
– Recognition in the SNACC Annual Meeting Reports published in the SNACC Newsletter and the Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology.
Information regarding the nominations for the Teacher of the Year – Lifetime Education Award for 2017 will be announced at a later date.